Wednesday 6 June 2007

Yahoo Movies Michael Bay Video Interview

Yahoo Movies has posted up a video interview where he talked a little about Transformers. You can find the full video here. Thanks to Chad for the link.

The highlights:
- Bay said he did listen to the net "quite a bit." Acknowledged the early draft that was leaked but mostly listened to the comments about the Transformers artwork.

- Why flames on Optimus? Because he wanted flames. "Why pick a green house, why a yellow house? I wanted flames on Optimus."

- About fans saying he is wrecking their childhood: "I don't think I wrecked your childhood. If you look back at the cartoons now, they look really dated. My thing is I had to make these robots look real in real life situation."

- "Optimus Prime has 10,108 parts that are all moving and all interactive. Very complex model that fits in our live action very real."

- Engineering: They talked about parts discussing if alien or terrestial. Also how walked with the "bird-like things" for Starscream. Used 3-D models to determine how could move and joints that couldn't so correct them.

- Used AKA for the sets of robots which is why Frenzy was labeled Soundbyte for a while. Like Frenzy because he was "vicious."

- Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are Bay's favorites.

As for comment about the original cartoons, I have to agree. I have all the seasons on DVD. By the end it was just painful to get through. Just more sophisticated tastes now vs then I guess. Beast Wars to me, especially Season 2 and 3 was really the height of Transformers writing and execution. That the movie writers clearly used that series as a source of inspiration is part of the reason why have high hopes for this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment