Tuesday 26 June 2007

Mark Ryan Confirms Bumblebee Voice Work

As previousily reported via movie pre-screenings, Mark Ryan is the voice of Bumblebee in the movie. On his website he had confirmed he was cast as the voice of Ironhide for Transformers The Game and not the movie. No mention of Bumblebee was made so no connection was made at the time.

The other day though, Mark Ryan finally was able to confirm that he is doing the voice of Bumblebee in the movie. Bumblebee doesn't have a voice box thanks to Megatron (see prequel comics) so I would assume that the lines are very few, maybe one or two. Thanks to Maximus for pointing the update.

From Mark Ryan's site:
Folks!

I know there's been a lot of speculation about this issue online, so Paramount Pictures has given me official permission to now confirm that I am voicing Bumblebee in the new Transformers movie.

I was asked by studio publicity boss: Carl Williams, not to do interviews or reveal what actually happens until after the US release and I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone! So my lips are sealed on that front!

Recent rumors that I actually look like BB under my clothes are however misguided, although I have been spotted walking like an Autobot at various conventions in the past...

I can say on a personal note that I like Bumblebee, as he's portrayed in this film very much. Michael Bay and ILM really succeeded in bringing him to life and imbuing him with so many human qualities and emotions. The relationship between Sam and BB is developed extraordinarily well and is both hilarious and moving. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman gave him so many human facets, including heart and humor that leap out from the screen.

Bumblebee's trademark characteristics as the loyal, courageous and dedicated warrior-scout were already enshrined in Transformers lore and the relationship with Sam is developed so well in this film, in terms of his befriending this "alien human' ally and finding common elements, both romantic and humorous, that it's a pivotal part of the plot. I think it's an experience that people will personally be able to relate to.

In an odd twist of personal fate, my Bumblebee experience also mirrored the journey with Nasir from Robin Of Sherwood (a character close to my heart of course) as the quiet and stoical "stranger in a strange land." I'll talk more about that later...

I did however recognize early on, the simple human traits of compassion, sacrifice and humor that Bumblebee depicts and thought: “This is one very cool dude.”

I also think the new Camaro is pretty damn awesome as well...."

So! In other news I just finished playing “Boris” a dodgy Russian character for my old pal: Michael Monks. Michael makes his directing debut with “Joe And Brodie” and I'm very pleased for Michael as he's a very respected and experienced actor and coach, as well as a dear friend. This is an independent movie filming in LA and Michael's intelligent and insightful skills will be brought fully to bear as a director, I have no doubt. It's a very funny script and I wish the crew all the best for the shoot.

I can also now also announce I'll also be attending Comic Con in San Diego with Green Arrow pal: Mike Grell. We will be making an announcement regarding a new joint Graphic Novel project that we've been working on for about fifteen years!

And for those who asked very interesting questions on the mailing list and have been patiently waiting for the answers, I'll be working on them this weekend and will post replies during the coming week.

Thanks again to Mary for all the hard work and also for keeping the "Bumblebee issue" secret for all these weeks!

Best wishes to all,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment