Tuesday 1 May 2007

Peter Cullen Q&A

TFW2005.com has posted a transcript of a Q&A session with Peter Cullen during the Anime Matsuri in Houston, Texas from April 27th to 29th.

The highlights:
- Cullen is not voicing other characters in the movie.
- No changes where requested when Cullen auditioned with Bay and co as Optimus
- Game recording sessions where tiring, as took 3-4 hours per, requiring lots of screams, grunts, attack sounds and the like on three different levels.
- Worked with Bay to make Optimus more human due to the live action elements and interaction with Spike Witwicky character.
- While recording for movie, worked with Bay and assistant but no other actors.
- Find the voice of Optimus once again was "he was so set and so strong and foreign in substance that it was like riding a bike and he came right back."
- In regards to the script "The qualities of the characters are still there. It's like an elastic band and stretching it, but it's still the elastic band and the strength of the characters are still there."
- Also reiterated the $150 million budget that has yet to be 100% confirmed but assumed (at least by me).
- Optimus will have a larger role in second and third movies.
- Apparently during movie audition, Bay was speechless when Cullen seamlessly switched between the voice of Ironhide and Prime while reading lines.
I doubt Bay is accustomed to actors who exclusively only do voice (and usually many different ones) so not particularly surprised. Probably not used to the lack of ego compared to on-camera actors either. Hugo Weaving at a convention other then San Diego, that will be the day.
- Had to do a second audition with Bay because Bay wasn't convinced that voice actors could you know "act". Again probably his lack of experience in that realm of Hollywood.
- Despite the successful auditions "I don't believe I scared them but I actually believe if it weren't for the fan base and the communications you had between yourself and the powers that be, I would have never got that role and I really appreciate you people for it and I love you for it."
- Cullen's other favorite Transformers besides Prime is Ironhide.
- When it comes to changes to Transformers such as Bumblebee as a Camaro "I can understand where the feelings you guys have for that and I don't blame you...Nothing stays the same, things change, but I'm trying to be optimistic here without sounding like I'm trying to hide anything. I have a lot of confidence in the changes that have been made and I'm sure you guys will too."
- Cullen's involvement began around June of last year.
- As far as lines...apparently the "My Bad" line stays in when Prime crushes Spike's Mom's garden. I just hope it works in execution cause when read it in the leaked script, it was a groan moment for me.
- Doesn't remember if uses the famous "Autobots transform and roll out."
- Cullen hasn't heard any of Hugo's work on the film but wished Frank Welker was doing it. I still say they need to record a Frank Welker track for the DVD but I am thinking actor ego (Hugo's) will prevent such an event from ever occurring even if powers that be wanted to.
- Script was kept a secret even from Cullen. He only saw the pages with his lines.

Full Q&A transcript is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment